Friday, February 22, 2013

Australia in the Eyes of a Midwestern Kid


If you were to combine the City of Chicago, Los Angeles, St. Louis and Louisville from the perspectives of culture and attractions, you would have Sydney, Australia.

The city is broken up into main suburbs much like home, and its people seem to walk and talk with a certain confidence unknown to the average tourist. The buildings tower over luscious green parks and even the homeless men can be seen enjoying the golden rays of sun on a perfectly perched bench.

However, Sydney is nothing like home. The homeless all tell you to smile, because you are in Australia. The Crows sound like crying babies, and absolutely everyone looks good. I have spent four days soaking in every bit of Australia that I can, and let me tell you, I have yet to see one overweight person!

Don’t expect to even hear a siren during your stay. I was lucky enough to see a fire truck drive through the streets of Sydney, it was then that I realized that was the first siren I heard, and has been the last one as well. BTW, Fire trucks look like a red short bus.

Public transit is very nice so far. The trains are clean, the buses smell fresh, and you seriously do not need to worry about the person sitting next to you. Everyone is very friendly and approachable, and I would not hesitate to talk to someone if boredom was a factor.

Getting used to the road system is very different as well. Of course the driver sits on the opposite side of the vehicle, but they also drive on the other side of the road as well. Gas is called Petrol, and petrol is sold by the liter. 1.57 if that fits your fancy. 4 liters go to a gallon, and a tank can get quite expensive which is why I will not be driving during my duration! Lol

When it comes to Uni, Aussies don’t really stress about schooling the way Americans do. In fact, many Australians don’t see their GPA until after they graduate. In American terms, C’s get degrees. Lol The grading terms are different as well, considering the grading scale in nothing like the A-F system we have. In other words, I wish I had just gone to school here in Sydney. It takes 3 years to graduate, and all you really need is that piece of paper saying you finished your specific program of education.

Many Americans seem to have a hard time accepting the Mexicans who receive free health care, and all the benefits of being American. Well, in Australia, 40% of the population is of another culture, with most being Asian. So Asians are as to Mexicans when it comes to alienating a new country.

I will speak more about my host family as I progress, but right now I am excited to say I am staying with a great family in a neighborhood called Croydon. Croydon is a small village in the outskirts of Sydney, but fairly close to my school which is nice. The family is made up of two little boys, two cats, as well and Mr. and Mrs. Nair who are very kind. Mr. Nair is from Fiji, and Mrs. Nair is from Italy. As you can see, Italian and Seafood will be a very delicious diet J

I will not have as much internet the first few days I am here, so please give me some time to get going. I am still learning public transportation here in Australia, and I will be planning on purchasing a bike here soon too!
If you have any questions about Australia, feel free to ask me! I will be happy to find out the answer for you. I will be sharing my new phone number soon as well when I get that all set up!

Continue to follow on Facebook and Twitter and I will be posting some instagram photos soon!!!
Peace.

PS. Australian internet is terrible!!!!!!!!!


2 comments:

  1. You are very articulate- must be the college. It sounds interesting. We look forward to hearing more.

    Uncle Frank

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Mother could be more proud. You are truly my heart. Enjoy every single second and soak up as much as you can!

    ReplyDelete