Sunday, March 3, 2013

WEEK ONE


Sydney really is a beautiful city. There is so much to see and do, I’m quite thankful that I had this opportunity to live here for four months because I couldn’t imagine just being a tourist for one week!

As I mentioned in my last post, I am very much enjoying everything Australia has to offer. I want to treat this experience like a pilgrimage. I want to be so much immersed, that I will be walking and talking like an Australian by the time I get home in June! I know that is quite the exaggeration; however I hope you see where I am coming from, I don’t want to look like a tourist while I am here.

As of right now, I am living with a great family in Croydon. If you were to pass by my house, you wouldn’t think anything of it. Small, fenced in yard with what appears to be a mile long driveway. There is some bush lining the fence, and barred windows to protect from intruders ~ My first impression: I’m going to be living in a prison lol

But….looks can be deceiving. As you enter the home you are welcomed to beautiful wood flooring, gorgeous red brick, and an aroma of pasta that has been cooking all morning. The house is clean and tidy with not a crumb to be seen, and as you make your way to the back, you are greeted with a spacious back yard with pool! My roommate and I were very pleased by this grand entrance lol

My family has two kids, whom are 4 and 9, and very much like the idea of having two 21 year old men living in the house. I think my new Mom likes the idea of having some boys to rough around their kids a little bit too J

Well, to fast forward, I can safely say I can navigate my way around. I know which buses will take me to school, and which ones will lead me to the city. I also have found out that some buses don’t always follow their routes, and at times you need to get off before you find yourself farther away from home than you want to be.

I had my first spider experience Sunday as well. It was big and hungry. I tried to get a picture, but was too scared to get close. You can walk the spiders on leashes here they’re so big.  I’m positive I would have pooped my pants, if it blew into me!

On another note, I started school on Monday! I found myself with 12 other people who have a love for hip hop music and want to take it to another level. Yes, I am in a dance class. It’s hard, I can’t move the way some of these people can, and hopefully by the end, I will be in Step Up 5. I’ve found that I am completely out of my element at this school. I’m not talented in the arts, and everyone surrounding me definitely is in some way, so that is definitely humbling. I can’t “stand out” here by my talents, because they are only good back home! Haha

I finally got my number, so if you want to text me it’s 61 466 580 451
I still have a full week of classes but I feel good about everything right now! I am planning my trip to the Great Barrier Reef this weekend, and I will also be picking up my Surfboard this week too! I also was able to visit some true Australian pubs, including the oldest in Sydney, and I went to a professional basketball game! The Sydney Kings!

After the game, I went to the Paddy Market in Chinatown. You know I will be doing all of my souvenir shopping there lol But they have everything so it’s pretty sweet!

Next week I will be going to Featherdale Wildlife Park, which I will get pictures with the Koala’s and Kangaroos! I’m pretty excited!

Wish me luck!

Next week’s post will be about the 5 Reasons you’ll want to live in Sydney!
I miss you, and I hope to hear from some of you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment