Tuesday, January 29, 2013

5 Reasons Why You Need to Study Abroad

As a Senior in college, I can finally say that I was able to experience one of the most memorable journeys in my existence. After 21 years, I was able to do the one thing that I had been dreaming about since I was a kid; Studying Abroad. Now you may be just like me, but maybe you need a few more reasons to convince yourself that you need to go.If this is true, here are 5 reasons for you to see why you should take the plunge and just study abroad!

5. It's Affordable:
Believe it or not, most study abroad programs will still cost about the same per semester as your home university... including airfare and other add-ons. I found that depending on where I wanted to go, financial aid was still fully available. With further research, I was able to receive half of my student aid, which still allowed me build on the opportunity to study. So take a look at your options and talk to your financial aid advisor. They very much want to help you, and in my case I was able to work out a way to have some money to spend while I was in Australia..you could do the same!

4. It Works With Your Major:
You may be surprised to see that you may have more general education classes than you do core courses. Take advantage of this. I am a Public Relations major, and after looking at my degree audit, I found that I only needed 9 more PR credits...but 24 Gen Ed credits. So, I used this to my advantage, and worked with my advisor to get the credits I will take to transfer flawlessly towards graduation. Many programs are for your major anyways!! So why wouldn't you want to use that for your own good?!

3.Your Friends Are Doing It:
If you are like me, you have clicked through countless pictures of your friends on Facebook having the time of their lives in Spain, Europe, Africa etc. You probably have heard the amazing stories of their adventures, and perhaps you would like to be able to share your own stories with your friends and family as well. Now it's your turn!  Ask around, see where your friends and family have been, and start planning your own adventure.

2. Intercultural Experience/Networking
Depending on where you are traveling and what program you are going to study, you have a possibility to make some fantastic connections. Some of the best stories I've heard, are the ones that spontaneously include meeting random celebrities in an elevator and then connecting with them later on in the States. Or perhaps you are wanting to grow in your business or teaching experience. Employers like seeing this experience on a resume, so you can use this to your advantage. If you make a good impression in your new country, you might receive offers to work internationally! Of course it takes time, and you need to be passionate about whatever you want to do. However, opportunities are always out there, and it wouldn't hurt to establish great relationships because it can only help you in the long run.

1. You Only Live Once
Yes. I am using this acronym to prove a point. At what other point in your life are you going to be able to live internationally for four months without worrying about a mortgage, spouse, children and a career?! I honestly cannot answer this question, but maybe your parents can. You are at a point in your life where you can say YOLO and live abroad without worrying about things you will have to do after you graduate. You don't have to grow up just yet, use this opportunity to do something you have always wanted! So many people regret not taking the chance to study abroad because they didn't think they could do it. I'll be honest, it is a lot of work to go through the entire process, but trust me, it's 100% worth it and your future self will pick up the tab ;) YOLO!

So don't hesitate. Go to your Global Studies office or Academic Advisor and look at your options. You are in the prime of your life, why wait when you have a family or when you're retired? Take the chance now while you still can, and create an adventure that will last a lifetime!

No comments:

Post a Comment